Course Announcements (most recent first)
- 08-07-2009: we will hold a test 2 remark request office hour on Tuesday August 11 at 6:00 PM in BA2200
- 08-05-2009: lab and test grades have been posted on CDF. We are returning tests in class tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll be in BA2200 until about 5:00 as usual for office hours.
- 07-29-2009: assignment 3 Lazy Exam TA comments have been sent to your CDF accounts, and marks are on CDF. Information about specific marking and testing criteria is here, along with the test banks we used for testing. Questions or concerns? Let me know.
- 07-25-2009: I have sent A3 mindreader feedback to your CDF addresses. We are not yet finished marking the Lazy Exam portion of assignment 3, but I thought the Mindreader feedback would be helpful insofar as it influences your ideas for assignment 4. The A3 mark will not be on CDF until we finish marking the Lazy Exams but, of course, if you have questions or concerns about your Mindreader portion, please let me know.
- 07-16-2009: in week 12, we will cover sorting, and start to illuminate how our magical call of
lst.sort() for a list
lst might work. If you'd like to volunteer to be part of our "sorting students by height at the front of the class", please let me know. I think it will bring sorting alive, and will be more memorable than watching me reorganize numbers.
- 07-13-2009: assignment 4 is available
- 07-13-2009: we will have a TA office hour on Wednesday July 15 at 6:00 in BA2200. (I will be in BA2200 Thursday afternoon between 12:00 and 5:00.)
- 07-13-2009: as mentioned in class, test 2 (Thursday, July 16, in class) will not cover lecture 9 (intro to OOP)
- 07-08-2009: assignment 2 TA comments have been sent to your CDF accounts, and marks are on CDF. Information about specific marking and testing criteria is here, along with warn.wav and pianohit.wav that we used to mess around with part 1. Questions or concerns: talk to me, please.
- 06-25-2009: for questions about your test 1, our markers are holding an office hour on Thursday, July 2 at 5:00 PM in BA2200
- 06-21-2009: there will be no lab in week 8: the week from June 29 to Jul 3. Don't fret: we still have class that week, of course, on July 2!
- 06-18-2009: As announced in class today, you may submit your assignment 2 on time by Sunday, June 21 at 11:59 PM. After this, your submission will not be accepted, unless you use your allotted grace day as described on the course outline. Note that this does not mean you can hand in assignment 3 or assignment 4 on Sunday. They are due on the Friday, as specified on the course outline with no further extension.
- 06-18-2009: assignment 3 is available
- 06-13-2009: test 1 with sample answers is available in the table on the CSC108 homepage. Feel free to discuss the test on the relevant bulletin board.
- 06-09-2009: assignment 1 TA comments and grade have been sent to your CDF accounts. Questions? Concerns? Please let me know, of course.
- 06-07-2009: our first test is Thursday, June 11 at 6:10 for 50 minutes in BA1200. After that, we'll have a bit of a break and then lecture.
- 06-05-2009: TA office hours have been scheduled for Tuesday June 9 at 6:00 PM, and Wednesday June 10 at 7:00 PM, both for one hour in BA2200.
- 06-02-2009: in case you can't make it to my posted office hours (Thursday, 12:00 - 2:00 PM, BA2200), please do come by BA2200 later in the afternoon on any Thursday (after your Thursday lab, if you're in that lab). I'm usually there until about 5:00. If this still conflicts with your day schedule, please let me know: we could meet after class, or on a different day.
- 05-30-2009: I've posted assignment 2, in case you've finished assignment 1 and you're bored. We have to cover lists for some of the assignment to make sense, but you can experiment and mess around with sounds, and some of the functions in part 1, in the meantime.
- 05-21-2009: As announced in class today, you may submit your assignment 1 on time by Sunday, May 31 at 10:00 PM. After this, your submission will not be accepted, unless you use your allotted grace day as described on the course outline
- 05-16-2009: assignment 1 is posted. If you're working at home, you should install Python and the other packages listed in the
Python Links section. The media module itself is included in PyGraphics 2.0; try
help (media) from the Python shell to get lots of information about the module. (Be sure to install PIL, Pygame, and Numpy from that page as well; the media module requires these.) A couple of the functions in part 2 require the use of if-statements, to which we will turn next lecture (the relevant material from the textbook is in section 6.2). Please feel free to use the bulletin board for assignment-related questions.
- 05-15-2009: a couple of students asked me last night whether it is possible to transfer out of CSC108 into CSC148. Please feel free to discuss this further with me by email. If you have the required background, you may visit the undergraduate office or contact the current CSC148 instructor for further information.
- 04-05-2009: Welcome to CSC108H